Thursday, April 22, 2010

Last Post

Quite a bit of time has gone by now – I’ve been back from Africa for almost 4 weeks now, and I have been wanting to write just one more post, to try to tie things up, bring my story to some sort of completion. I started writing this “last post” awhile back, but got distracted with other events in my life, and am just now returning to my task. I wanted to tell two more stories that I hadn’t shared – important ones, especially since they concerned the two groups that we originally went to Africa to visit (The BOMA Fund in Kenya and BeadForLife in Uganda). It seems like a huge slip-up on my part to not have discussed them at all, especially since those visits were so rich. But when I went back to the story I started and tried to pick up the thread, I realized that I’ve moved on from the telling of all the stories now, and that you probably have too. I felt like I’d do all this writing and no one would be interested anymore – too much time has passed, we’ve all got other things on our plates.

So I’m going to end instead by trying to put into words what I’ve gotten from this journey. I’ve been working on articulating it ever since I returned; it’s ephemeral and hard to pin down, but it goes something like this:

I’ve found a sense of generosity inside myself that has grown larger and kinder.

I learned deeply and truly that one person can indeed make a difference, and that we each have a responsibility to do so, in whatever way we’re called.

And I feel connected with the rest of the world in a way that I wasn’t before – it’s smaller now, and my heart understands that there is no difference between the human experience in middle-class America and the human experience in an African slum. The only differences are the circumstances and relative challenges; the longings and joys, connections and love are identical.

So that’s my take-away, and my strong wish is that these learnings continue to expand my being, and don’t fade away with the passing of time. And my other strong wish is that you’ve enjoyed coming along with me virtually, and that you’ve gained something for yourself too. Thank you for your interest in my journey – knowing you were reading these posts, and encouraging me to put my experiences into words, has deepened and grounded the events for me. So thank you for being there, cheering me on, and sharing this experience with me. It’s been awesome.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your final post, it was like a delicious piece of chocolate at the end of a perfect meal. You are an icredible writer and a beautiful light in our world.
    Mol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious to hear what is next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us on your odyssey with you, madame. The things you learned are big ones, and would be good for all of us to sustain.

    I hope to hear you bark like a hyena next time we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!!! What a lovely posting.....beautiful words and thoughts and realizations!! That is so wonderful. Thanks for sharing, Patricia!!!

    love you

    ReplyDelete